Friday, June 5, 2009

The Belmont Stakes is tomorrow...

Hooray! The Belmont Stakes is just right around the corner. I know, this post is either quite late or quite early (due to the time when I post this), but I tend to function better at night. I can't help the fact that I'm a night owl. As the third leg of the Triple Crown draws near, though, my excitement and nerves reach newer and higher levels.

Out of all the three Triple Crown races, the Belmont Stakes is my favorite. It is the race that receives the most scrutiny for various reasons. It is a very challenging race, a race in which should be forever always THE Test of the Champion. After all, many great racehorses won this prestigious race, including those 11 that won the Triple Crown races. Secretariat, the winner of the series in 1973, most definitely validated the importance of the race by literally trouncing his opponents in a tour de force accomplishment. Of course, no one can forget the rivalry of Affirmed and Alydar, and the first unbeaten Triple Crown winner in Seattle Slew. However, these are just a handful of the most recent Triple Crown winners, and they all accomplished the Triple Crown series by winning the Belmont Stakes. The race itself, a mile and a half venture, is a grueling thing to overcome, but the winner indeed certainly comes out the champion in the end by showing grit, talent, and the most of all, heart.

Later on Friday, most likely late at night, I'll be posting my picks for the Belmont Stakes. I go through extensive research/ homework the night before every major race throughout the year. And this will be no different.

Here's an interesting article written by Steve Haskin from Bloodhorse.com:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/51109/haskins-belmont-report-love-that-bird

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment